One of my favorite dinners that I grew up with was my mom’s salmon patties, with creamy rice and pork n’ beans. Crazy huh? Why would a kid like this meal? Most kids turn their nose up at any type of seafood; but not me.
I think it’s because it has a delicate, non-fishy taste and it looks like a burger. It may be a great way to get kids introduced to seafood. I have great memories from when my mom would make this and had the salmon mixture ready to mix into patties, I would grab crackers and sneak some of it. Yes, I was eating straight out of the bowl! Ok, usually I was caught red-handed and usually, she joined me. We had fun making this one together.
Fortunately for me, my family loves this one, too; especially my hubby! (Everyone loves it except Emily, she used to eat it, but now she is in an anti-seafood phase. But that’s ok!) I don’t make it often, and I really should because it’s cheap, easy to make and it’s just really good!
I wish I had taken a picture when I made this the other night. We ate super late and I so starving so I forgot to take one. For now, I’ll use this picture so you’ll know how they should look. I’ll remember to take a picture the next time I make it.
Easy Southern Salmon Patties
Quick and easy salmon patties that your family is gonna love!
- 1 can of salmon (drained)
- 4 slices of white bread
- 1/2 sleeve Saltine crackers
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- a squeeze of a lemon (optional)
- vegetable oil
- Heat an electric skillet or a frying pan on medium-high. Add just enough vegetable oil to coat the pan. Drain the salmon and remove the large round bones. The rest of them will soften and cook away. Put in a large bowl. Tear or cut bread into pieces and add to bowl. Crush crackers and add to bowl. I just crush them with my hands like I’m adding it to my soup. I love the mixture of larger and smaller pieces. Add the rest of the ingredients. If you add lemon add just a small amount so it’s not overpowering. You want just a hint. Mix all ingredients together. I use my hands, but try to not overwork it.
- Shape into patties and place in pan or skillet. Turn patties over when they are golden brown. It only takes about 10-15 minutes to cook.
Just watch out if you have cats in your house! Not only will your family love it, but so will they! I had to throw out a whole batch when I turned my back for just a moment to grab something and then discovered my cat Tux gobbling it down as fast as he could. So now when I open the can and my kitties come running, I pour the juice on top of their cat food for a special treat.