As hard as it is to be without my mom, it is an honor to be able to make flowers for her. Here is how I made spring flowers for mom…
I have to say that it’s really crazy sometimes how an idea comes together. Just like the idea for this particular spring flower arrangement. I really didn’t have any design in mind when we went to the store; I just knew I was late getting this done. I kept thinking white for some reason. I met my stepdad at Hobby Lobby with my daughter Emily, and all he knew was that he really wanted some Easter lilies and some color.
We found some pretty Easter lilies and it just evolved from there. One thing I’ve learned about design is to work with the inspiration. He wanted white lilies, which are pretty bland, but they did have a little yellow way down in the center, so that’s what we worked with. Next we found those huge peonies, which are supposed to be peach, but really don’t look peach at all. They really looked like an off white, with a yellow tint and pink streaks. They were so pretty and they looked gorgeous against the lilies! Then we found the yellow daisy flowers that match and pretty pink sprigs.
1 bush of white lilies
2 bush of peony blooms deluxe
1 bush of yellow daisies
2 sprigs of pink mini flower bushes
1 1/2 inch ribbon
1/4 pink ribbon
6″ x 12″ green styrofoam floral rectangle
1 saddle for headstone
Glue gun & glue sticks
Green floral tape
This was a really simple design. I started with the biggest flowers first and worked from the center out to the edges. Cut stems with wire cutters to desired lengths; longer in the center and shorter as you move out. Then add the large hot pink flowers in the center.
Fill in with the lilies. Not all of these are sticking straight up. The ones near the edges are put in at an angle. Feel free to bend them to get the desired shape, or try different angles. This goes for all of the flowers. Fluff, bend and shape until you get the look you want.
Last, place the yellow and pink sprigs randomly. If you have bare spots, fill in with any leaves you may have pulled off stems. For the hot pink sprigs, I broke the large sprigs off into smaller sprigs. Because I did that, each smaller sprig only had a few thin wires left that we wound together; which is really weak to put into the arrangement and be outside. The wind would probably blow it out of the arrangement. To help with that, I took a stem from one of the flowers I had to cut down and used floral tape to attach it to the hot pink sprigs. It made them go in the arrangement easier and they are sturdier.
For the ribbon:
Measure around the foam and add 1/2 inch for overlapping the ribbon. Cut both ribbons. I hot glued the pink ribbon down the center and carefully hot glued it to the foam. I start and end in a corner, so that the overlap isn’t as noticeable as it would be if it was in the front or back.
For the vase flowers, I started with the largest flower first and then the lilies and taped them together with floral tape. Then I played around and placed each flower and wrapped with floral tape. You can use foam shaped specifically for the vases, but for some reason, it’s really hard to find here, so I just usually have to skip it. The foam helps to hold it in the vase, because a strong wind can blow them out. To keep mine from blowing out, I bend each stem up like a J and outward. Then place in the vase. This helps to anchor it in the vase.
That’s it! Super simple, but gorgeous. Make sure to save any leaves that you trim off in case you need to fill in any gaps, holes. Save the bottoms of stems you cut off in case you cut something too short, or, in my case, you need to add them to a stem to make them stronger.
Like I said, it’s really neat how things come together. I got white, my stepdad got the pop of color he was looking for and my daughter helped to pull the rest of it together. When it was finished, he loved it and so did I. I’m sure my mom does too.