It doesn’t matter how old your homeschool kids are they need PE. I have to be honest, I hated PE class when I was a kid. The only time I actually liked it was when we played volleyball or during middle school and we got to use the weight room. I was the girl in gym class that occasionally would tell the teacher that a got a “present” in the mail so I wouldn’t have to do class. I was so happy that I didn’t have to take it in high school. The funny thing is I would work out at home, I just couldn’t stand it in front of people.
But enough of that story. Kids need PE, they need to exercise and move. They need it for their health, mentally and physically. As a homeschool parent, you have to option to be so creative with their physical education. From creative ways to have PE class at home to using group classes that they take with others. The ways to do PE are endless and hopefully more fun even for us introverts that can’t stand doing PE in a classroom.
Right now, for some of us, going to class isn’t even an option. Whether it’s due to the Coronavirus or finances there are plenty of ways to get those kids moving and be able to count it as PE.
In your own yard:
- Pick a sport each month to work on and do basic drills
- Shoot hoops
- Use your driveway, or yard and make an obstacle course
- Walk, or run laps
- Set up a volleyball/badminton net
- If you have enough room learn how to drive, or putt a golf ball
- Do yoga
- Set up cones, or use something to mark the beginning and end and do drills
- Go hiking on trails, or just go for a walk in your neighborhood
- Play outdoor games
- Stream kids workouts
- Have a dance party
- Use Wii, or Kinect for workouts
- Have a pool? Swim laps, learn to swim
- Ride a bike around the neighborhood
If you have access to a park:
- Play basketball
- Take a walk/run on the trails
- Use the playground as an obstacle course for young children
- Use the open grass areas to play soccer or football
- Play disk golf
- Tennis anyone?
- Do yoga
- Go hiking
- Go for a bike ride
Group Class Ideas:
- Get a group of other homeschoolers together and create a PE class
- Check with your local homeschool group to see if any vendors offer classes
- Local YMCAs, athletic clubs, or kids’ play/sports places may offer classes
- Use your kids’ sports, dance, and gymnastics classes as their PE classes, especially for high school.
- Join a running group for kids/youth
- Join a cycling club
- Make use of online classes, there are tons of freebies out there
- Use apps
- Stream workouts, or sports-specific workouts
- Make use of YouTube
- Have a treadmill or stationary bike? Use any workout equipment you have at home.
- Join a gym
- Check with your local high school and see if you can use their track.
- Go swimming at your local pool
- Go skating or skateboarding
- Go skiing
These are just a few ideas. The options are endless and fun. I hope these ideas give you a jumpstart on how you can implement PE into your homeschool day. If you are having to practice social distancing right now, keep that in mind when choosing what you will do for PE class. Above all, try to make PE something that your child will enjoy, they may not enjoy it all the time but hopefully, they will enjoy it enough to make being healthy a lifelong habit. Feel free to share any ideas that you use with your kids and teens. I’d love to hear them!